In 2011, David Heller was hired as the redistricting consultant for Clark County, Nevada, a county of nearly two million people. In his role there, Heller provided updated demographic research and analysis to each of the seven County Commissioners, as well as to the County Manager and county staff. The result was a well-designed plan that passed unanimously (7-0). In 2012, all four of the County Commissioners up for re-election won handily. Main Street has also provided detailed demographic analysis of election districts at the federal level for many Members of Congress, including U.S. Reps. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.), Dutch Ruppersberger (D-Md.), Corrine Brown (D-Fla.), Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio), and Mike McIntyre (D-N.C.).
David Heller is proficient in Maptitude for Redistricting — the preeminent redistricting software that in the country and the same software used by NCEC and by a majority of the state legislatures in each redistricting cycle. Maptitude for Redistricting includes the latest Census geography and data and one-button conversion of your existing plans to the latest TIGER geography. With Maptitude, we can build (or analyze) redistricting plans that best suit your political needs. Our statewide data sets include streets with address information as well as county, neighborhood and census tract boundaries with over 600 demographic variables — everything needed to build your own redistricting plans — and to analyze competing plans.
Our redistricting expertise enables us to provide the following services:
- Create new plans to best advantage you in redistricting negotiations.
- Evaluate competing plans. Our state of the art software lets us import and merge plans created by Maptitude or other redistricting software, then evaluate them compared to both the existing districts and any other proposed districts. We can also convert a plan based on a previous version of TIGER geography to a plan using the latest version of TIGER geography. This makes it very easy to update the current plan to the most recent and most detailed Census geography.
- Break each district out by demographic characteristics, including race.
- Identify communities of interest and keep them intact within a given district.
- Compute measures of compactness to defend or argue against proposed districts.
- Print multiple reports. We can break down your proposed districts any way you want, including by population, political subdivision splits, incumbents, demographic statistics, communities of interest, and more. Whatever your redistricting needs, we can customize multiple reports to fit your needs.
- Export plans to standard equivalency file formats that can be read by other redistricting software and the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Print completed plans using colored page layouts that combine maps, data tables, and charts.
- Create a map book containing layouts for any number of districts. We can display either a single district, a series of adjoining districts in a single region, or an entire state, each district labeled by color with the district name, plan name, plan type, administrator, date created, and date last modified based on your settings. We can then combine these into a single book for your convenience.
- Integrate your plans with Google Maps and Google Earth. We can save your plans in the Google format (.KML or .KMZ) and add them to Google Maps or Google Earth. Use the built-in Google Earth toolbox to display Google Earth in Maptitude as part of your plan or display your plan in Google Earth.